Doonan Open Data Expo & National Tree Day
Sunshine Coast Council invites you to connect, create and care for our environment when two great events combine.
Come along on August 2 or 3 to plant a tree for National Tree Day and learn how science, technology and culture helps us care for nature at the Doonan Open Data Expo.
Bookings are essential.
- Sunday 2 August - 8.00am–4.00pm
- Monday 3 August - 8.00am–12.30pm
How can you get involved?
All activities are one hour in duration with an additional 30 minutes to check-in and walk to the activity area - we are offering multiple session times across both days.
Tree planting/Doonan Open Data Expo Trail
- Get your hands in the dirt and help plant 2000 native trees, shrubs and sedges to increase wildlife habitat.
- Take a self-guided walk to visit our interactive stalls. A smart phone/device is required to scan QR Codes to activate our interactive information. Learn about virtual fencing, habitat stacks and flying fox satellite tracking.
The Art of String Theory Workshop
- Listen with you're eyes presented by Goldorang Bunjurla. Little Lizards Story told with a piece of looped string, explore the sacred geometric shape codes of Banksia integrifolia seed pod and more. For more information about The Art of String Theory.
Kabi Kabi First Nations cultural heritage awareness yarning circle
- Learn how you can protect cultural heritage and hear from the Kabi Kabi First Nations Peoples about their culture and connection to country.
- Live demonstration of robots planting trees. This Brisbane business has developed robotic technology for large scale revegetation projects.
- Only operating on Monday. This is not a bookable session and can be viewed while walking to your activity area.
How to register?
Chose a day you would like to attend, visit the registration page and book a session time. You are welcome to book multiple sessions.
What is provided and what to bring?
Equipment for the planting activity is provided. Please bring gloves, sun protection and water bottle and wear sturdy enclosed shoes.
Deadly Espresso will be onsite selling coffee and snacks. Please bring along your own reusable coffee cup.
219 Doonan Bridge Road, Verrierdale
Car park entrance is adjacent to the Doonan Bridge Road and Dahlia Road intersection. When using a navigation device use 268 Doonan Bridge Road, Verrierdale and follow the signs.
Senior Community Conservation Officer
This event is operating in compliance with Queensland Government COVID Safe Event Checklist.
Every attendee must provide contact information upon registration.
If attending, please follow the rules to keep us all safe. Please stay at home if you are unwell, or have a cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue or shortness of breath, have been overseas in the last 14 days, or have been in close contact with a confirmed case.
Vulnerable participants must obtain medical clearance to attend. For example, if you have a compromised immune system, over 65 years of age with a chronic medical condition or Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples 50 years or over with a chronic medical condition.