Nana’s Rice Pudding
- 2¾ cups full-cream milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup short grain rice
- ¼ cup sugar
- Place the milk in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add vanilla extract and stir.
- Once the milk starts to steam (not boil) sprinkle in the rice.
- Turn the heat up slightly and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice grains start to swell, place a lid on the pot and lower the heat.
- Keep an eye on the rice and stir occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, remove saucepan from heat, add the sugar and a pinch of salt; stir gently.
- Serve hot, at room temperature or chilled.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg just before serving.
DID YOU KNOW?
There is quite a big difference between vanilla extract
and vanilla essence. Vanilla extract is usually a natural product made by soaking vanilla pods in a mixture of ethyl alcohol and water. ... Vanilla essence is usually a synthetic (ie., chemically produced) vanilla flavouring and is cheaper than the natural extract.