Going Bananas for Banana Cupcakes with Maple Icing
NEARLY every household has bananas that begin to spot and go black. No need to waste you can either freeze them for smoothies and purees or even better,
use them up in some yummy baking for the family. Below is a delicious banana cupcake with maple icing recipe. They're super easy to create and family
and friends will love them.
- 200g caster sugar or other alternative like coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 medium bananas, mashed (locally sourced of course)
- 225g plain flour or spelt or gluten free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs milk (or dairy free alternative)
- pinch of salt.
- 125g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbs milk
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and crushed.
- Preheat oven to 180°c and line your muffin tray with large cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla - cream together using an electric mixer on medium to high until light, fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add egg, mixing in well. Add mashed bananas and whisk well. Add the flour mixture and the milk. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into the cases. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, remove and allow to cool completely.
- Now for the icing. In a mixing bowl, add butter and using an electric mixer beat on medium until pale (about a few minutes).
- Gradually add icing sugar and milk - beat constantly until combined and fluffy. Add maple syrup.
- Transfer maple icing into a piping bag with a large star nozzle. Top each cupcake with a large amount of icing and top each with crushed walnuts.
Adapted from recipe by Dan and Steph Mulheron My Kitchen Rules winners. Visit http://www.danandsteph.com.au or find them on Facebook and Instagram