DIY at Home
Repairs and repurposing
Whether you are staring down a long list of home repairs or twiddling your thumbs itching to start a new project, here have some DIY tips and tricks to
help you along the way.
Identify what needs to be done and determine if you can do it yourself (or if it is a job for the professionals – like electrical or plumbing work).
Firstly, ask yourself a few important questions to see if it is worth your while:
- Do I have the time and motivation?
- Do I have the tools/resources? (and access to help if necessary)
- Do I have permission? (eg. are you performing work on a rental or require council approval)
- Is it safe to attempt this type of work?
- Do I have the skill level? (DIY might become an expensive project if you have to hire a professional to fix your attempts)
If the answer is 'no' to any of these, the DIY project may be best to hold for another time. Not sure? Check council’s Development Tools and Guidelines.
DIY projects - Start small
Libraries love these DIY eBooks
- Easy to Build outdoor projects: 29 Projects for Your Yard and Garden by Popular Woodworking Magazine
- Furniture Makeovers: Simple Techniques for Transforming Furniture with Paint, Stains, Paper, Stencils and More by Barb Blair.
- Guerilla Furniture Design: How to Build Lean, Modern Furniture with Salvaged Materials by Will Holman
- Life Hacks: Handy Tips to Make Life Easier by Dan Marshall
- Take these simple eBook steps to access more home cook books.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and
enter your member number and passwords.
How to search for titles in eBooks
- Go to the eLibrary –Books & Comics page.
- Scroll down the page to the Search eBooks section.
- Enter the title of the book and tap the search icon.
- When you have found the title you want to borrow "View Availability" to see if the book is available and to identify which app the eBook is located
- Go to the eBook app on your device [e.g. ePlatform byWheelers, RBDigital or Libby by Overdrive], and search for the item, borrow and download.
Libraries love these DIY eMagazines
- Family Handyman
- Australian Handyman
- Do It Yourself
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital
app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Best DIY websites to get you inspired