06 Dec, 2017
Pea and ham croquettes with fiery aioli
Credit: Ben Dearnley
Turn leftover Christmas ham into delicious finger food for breakfast, lunch or tapas with these tasty croquettes.
**Prep Time: **15 mins ** Cook Time: **30 mins ** Ingredients: **11 ** Difficulty: **Easy ** **
- 750g sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped (or leftover baked potatoes)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 300g cooked ham, finely chopped
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves finely chopped, plus extra to serve (or substitute for other herbs you have avail)
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (75g) breadcrumbs (make from stale bread)
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 1/2 cup (150g) aioli, combined with 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, roughly mash with butter, then combine with ham, peas, mint, zest and juice. Season, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Season flour and place in a bowl. Place egg and crumbs in separate bowls. Using 2 tbs for each, shape mixture into 24 logs. Coat with flour, then egg, then crumbs, then repeat with egg and crumbs.
- Half-fill a saucepan with oil and heat to 190Â°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds). Deep-fry croquettes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Top aioli with extra mint and serve with croquettes and lemon.