16 Mar, 2018
PASTA – A HERO Leftover Dish
Pasta is an absolute hero dish when it comes to using up leftovers!
Pasta provides the perfect foundation for healthy, nutritious and satisfying meals as it is usually eaten with nutrient-dense food partners. Think of all those fibre-filled veggies and beans, heart healthy fish and monounsaturated oils, antioxidant-rich tomato sauces and protein-packed cheeses, poultry and lean meats. Literally you can take whatever you have in your fridge and add it to pasta for a delicious, nutritious meal.
Take a perennial family favourite - Spaghetti Bolognese! This is a classic dinner that makes delicious leftovers for days. Simply double the ‘bol’ amount for more; Cook once, eat twice ~ music to a busy person’s ears!
Here are some ideas on how you can change up your next batch of âBolâ …
Piled onto a baked potato with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves sprinkled on top.
Bol Cups: Cut the edges off slices of bread, roll it flat with a rolling pin then line a muffin tray. Spoon in the Bolognese, grate over some cheddar or mozzarella cheese and cook until the bread toasts. Serve with sour cream and avocado smash.
3. PIES! Add a little mozzarella cheese and pop in pastry in a pie maker. YUM!
4. Bolognese Risotto - my boys love this. A simple risotto with bolognese sauce in it; sounds easy because it is!
5. Mini lasagna’s. Use a muffin tin, line with fresh lasagne sheets, white sauce layered with Bolognese and then bake in a preheated 160C oven for 30 minutes. Can be frozen for a few months for a quick go-to snack or toddler meal with veggies.
7. Loaded Quesadillas: Spread it on a wrap, sprinkle with cheese, leftover chopped veggies topped with another wrap. Cook in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Turn once (when underside crispy) then cook until crispy on the other side and warmed through. Cut like a pizza, top with lettuce, tomato, avocado and fresh herbs.
8. Savoury Scrolls: Spread bolognese over a square of puff pastry and sprinkle with baby spinach and grated Parmesan cheese. Roll up and cut them into 2cm wide rounds. Place onto a baking tray and bake in a preheated 180C oven until puffed and golden.
On top of being delicious, did you know? Eating reheated cooked pasta is actually healthy for you? Cooking pasta, cooling it and reheating actually changes the structure of the pasta turning it into resistant starch, which is resistant to the normal enzymes in our gut that breaks down the carbs and releases glucose which typically causes a spike in blood-sugar.
LEFTOVER PASTA ~ Delicious and Nutritious!