29 Aug, 2019
Energy Efficient Communities Program
The Energy Efficient Communities Program will deliver $50 million of grants to assist businesses and community organisations to improve energy efficiency practices and technologies and better manage energy consumption to reduce their power bills.
Funding will support activities to help businesses and community organisations to save energy through:
equipment upgrades that reduce energy consumption
- energy generation and storage projects (for example solar photovoltaic panels, batteries and solar hot water) will only be permitted for community organisations
investment in energy and emissions monitoring and management systems to better manage energy use
completion of energy systems assessments according to the Australian Standard or feasibility studies to investigate energy efficiency opportunities
When do applications open?
- Eligible businesses will be able to apply for grants in early 2020.
- Eligible community organisations will be able to apply for grants from October 2019 for grants to fund energy generation and storage projects. Applications for grants to fund other equipment upgrades and energy audits will open in early 2020.
- Grants will be made available to eligible applicants on a first come, first served basis.
Who can apply for funding?
Grants will be made available for:
- small businesses
- businesses that consume large amounts (over 0.05 petajoules) of energy each year
- community organisations
Definitions of the businesses that can seek funding will be refined during program design.
More informationEnergy Efficient Communities Program factsheets
If you’d like to know more about the Energy Efficient Communities Program, please email EECProgram@environment.gov.au