Living Smart with Transport
Living Smart with Transport is good for you as well as the environment. Did you know every litre of petrol saved cuts greenhouse gas emissions by 2.5 kgs?
Throughout the world, it is recognised that our reliance on cars, particularly for single person journeys, is unsustainable.
"Traffic congestion and delays, the extremely high cost of advanced road systems, air and noise pollution and our increasing dependence on non-renewable fuels are some of the more readily recognised issues that people are concerned with. In addition, studies are now showing that there are serious personal health and social consequences of high levels of car travel. There is further concern that Australians may be 'building in' car dependency into our children, making our problems much worse in the future" (TravelSmart Australia).
The Living Smart Transport module resources focus primarily on the positive promotion of alternatives to travelling by private cars; the module challenges members of your household to change their travel habits to:
- Use alternative transport to the car, for example using walking, cycling and public transport.
- Recognise the health benefits of incidental exercise such as walking or cycling.
- Choose shops and facilities that are near you to reduce the need to travel and to support your local businesses.
Outcomes for your household in embracing sustainable travel habits may include:
- Reduction of travel costs; fuel, fines, parking fees and vehicle wear and tear.
- Improvement of health and wellbeing (physical and mental) ie reduce obesity, heart attack, diabetes
- Reduce stress; road rage
- Increased social interaction
- Increased road safety – more awareness and respect of alternative transport users
- Reduced pollution – noise and air, greenhouse gases, toxins in waterways, resource consumption
- Reduced traffic congestion and associated lost productivity and time travelled
Navigate your way through the Transport space for practical information and participate in the corresponding activities (registered users only) to complete the Transport module and become a sustainable transport household!
challenges, tools and games.
Useful Tips and Facts
- 20% of all trips under 5km can easily be cycled in 20mins
- Map out a safe route for your children to walk/ride to school. Meet them half way, park further away and walk. Buy umbrellas for wet weather.
- Park your car further away from your destination and walk or cycle the rest of the way
- Plan your car trips so you are doing several tasks./activities